Work at Rosie's Place
Rosie's Place offers a wide range of rewarding career opportunities to individuals who are committed to our mission. When you join Rosie’s Place, you become part of a dedicated team that each year offers 12,000 poor and homeless women shelter, sanctuary and support. If you are looking for an internship, please check our Internship Opportunities.
Rosie’s Place is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. Rosie’s Place strongly encourages people of color, people with disabilities and homeless/formerly homeless people to apply.
Direct Services Manager (Evening and Weekends)
As the Evening and Weekend Manager, you will support the front desk staff, provide guidance for all staff and guests, maintain order in a busy environment, and be the manager on duty after 4pm.View Listing Details
Saturday through Wednesday 12noon-8pm
$50,000 - $70,000
As the Evening and Weekend Manager, you will support the front desk staff, provide guidance for all staff and guests, maintain order in a busy environment, and be the manager on duty after 4pm. Rosie’s Place has a diverse population that present a variety of challenging behaviors. Many of our guests suffer from physical or mental disabilities. The Evening and Weekend Manager is expected to treat all guests with dignity and respect, while also ensuring a safe and welcoming environment.
- Be the manager on duty after 4pm
- Run a daily meeting at 4pm to direct staff and inform them of the day’s agenda
- Address any problems that arise with staff and guests
- Delegate responsibilities to staff depending on the needs of the day
- Be the point person when problems arise
- Work collaboratively with managers around personnel issues and goal development/achievement
- Ensure that the building is checked and locked at the end of the night. All spaces are cleared, and doors are locked and alarmed
Individual Support Services
- Help direct guests who are requesting services
- Communicate to guests the variety of services, and the guidelines to receive services
- Provide information on groups/activities/rules/regulations to guests who request it
- Address problematic behaviors, and/or deescalate behavior which may be disruptive
- Engage and form trusting relationships with guests.
- Provide information and referrals to services offered on-site, by Rosie’s Place programs and other allied partners
- Recognize when problems require support from additional resources and communicate with program managers in a timely manner; and coordinate additional support as needed
- Attend weekly supervision, and staff meetings
- Create an inventory system for Guest Supplies, and oversee the ordering of new supplies
- Communicate all pertinent information about guests in the database within 48 hours
- Communicate information to department managers about issues with their staff
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of various community resources as well as current regulation and requirements for obtaining public benefits, housing and other services
- Report directly to the Vice President of Internal Programs and perform any additional duties as assigned by the manager
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We know people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in case management, counseling, advocacy or related fields, and 2 years supervisory experience
- Fluency in English and a second language preferred (Spanish, Haitian Creole, Mandarin or Cantonese)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience working in urban communities or emergency services
- Experience working with people who have a history of trauma, homelessness, mental health issues, substance abuse, and domestic abuse
- Knowledge of community resources in and around Boston in housing support and basic benefits systems
- Understanding of and commitment to addressing issues affecting low-income guests
- Ability to prioritize within a fast-paced environment
- Strong de-escalation skills
- Excellent communication, listening and organizational skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Work, Excel)
- Ability to lift at least 10-20 pounds
In addition, the successful candidate will provide services in accordance with the philosophy and practices of Rosie’s Place.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to Sandy Mariano at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rosie’s Place in an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. Rosie’s Place strongly encourages people of color, people with disabilities and homeless/formerly homeless people to apply.
- Managerial responsibilities
Relief Staff Positions
Rosie’s Place is seeking individuals to work as relief staff on an as-needed basis.
If interested in any of the below relief positions, please download the PDF application form, open in an Adobe reader, fill it out and email it to the corresponding manager. Make sure to put “Relief Staff Application” in the subject heading of your email. We will review your application and contact you if we believe you are a strong candidate for a position. No phone calls please.
All relief staff persons receive $15 per hour. If hired, you will receive paid training to work in one or more of the following positions:
Relief Staff - Overnight Program Advocate
Objective: To provide a safe and supportive atmosphere for twenty Overnight Program guests.
Key Responsibilities: Provide a safe and welcoming environment for guests; maintain guest confidentiality and observe professional boundaries; restock program supplies and complete housekeeping tasks; enter a complete account of each shift in a daily log; resolve all conflicts in a calm and respectful manner; and any other duties as assigned by the Overnight Manager.
Qualifications: Minimum of two years direct service experience with people of diverse backgrounds; reliable, dependable, confident, quick-thinking, adaptable and able to cope with stress; and good written and verbal skills and basic computer skills.
Submit application to: Orialis Maxwell, email@example.com
Relief Staff - Front Desk Coordinator
Objective: To provide a welcoming and supportive atmosphere for guests and visitors entering Rosie’s Place and to act as an effective liaison for guests seeking to access services.
Key Responsibilities: Greet guests and visitors at the main entrance; answer telephones; receive mail and packages; file and check mail for guests and take phone messages; copy, fax and use postage machine; make laundry appointments and hand out shower kits; act as an effective liaison for guests seeking all services, and monitor guest areas and resolve conflicts in a respectful manner.
Qualifications: Good written and verbal skills; ability to handle multiple tasks at once; comfortable working with diverse groups of people; adaptable, energetic and able to cope with stress; one year direct service with diverse populations preferred, and high school diploma or equivalent.
Submit application to: Jane Adler, firstname.lastname@example.org
Relief Staff - Dining Room Coordinator
Objective: To efficiently prepare and serve lunch and/or dinner for up to 150 women and children while at the same time maintaining a welcoming, safe and nurturing environment.
Key Responsibilities: Prepare and serve entire meals for guests; perform cleanup duties; supervise the tasks of volunteers; maintain health department regulations; stock food and supplies, and maintain the safety and well being of guests and volunteers.
Qualifications: One year experience in the food service industry; ability to lift up to 50lbs and ability to work in a multicultural setting with people of diverse backgrounds, traditions, customs and personalities.
Submit application to: Anthony Williams, email@example.com